|Deliciously tender seitan dipped in flavorful broth…|
|Prep Time: 10 minutesCook Time: 15 minutes Ingredients:*1 19 oz. can Vege-Steak, plus liquid|
*2 Not-Beef Bouillon Cubes1 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 green pepper thinly sliced
1/2 yellow onion thinly sliced
2 cups water
French bread for 4 sandwiches
4 tbsp. margarine
1-2 tsp. garlic powder
4 slices of provolone cheese or substitute
Directions:1) Heat 1 tbsp. olive oil in a non stick skillet over medium-low heat, and sauté the onions and peppers until softened (5-7 minutes).
2) In a small 2qt. sauce pan, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Dissolve the Not-Beef Bouillon cubes in the water,then carefully add the entire contents of the Vege-steak can into the pot. Simmer until heated through (3-5 minutes).
3) Slice the French bread lengthwise to remove the top, coat the insides with margarine, then sprinkle with garlic powder. Turn on the oven to broil, and toast the bread, insides facing up, until they begin to turn golden brown (3-5 minutes). Remove the toasted bread from the oven.
4) Use tongs to remove the Vege-Steak from the liquid, place the slices on the toasted bread, top with sautéd onions & peppers, and cover with sliced cheese.
DO NOT DISCARD THE LIQUID – this is the au jus dipping sauce.
5) Broil the sandwiches, open-faced, until the cheese is melted (1-2 minutes).
6) Cut into portions, and serve the sandwiches with the au jus sauce for dipping.