- Sunflower oil for frying
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 red chillies, finely chopped
- 5 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 1½ tbsp smoked paprika
- ½ tbsp ground cumin
- 2 x 400g tins black beans
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 5 bay leaves
- 3 roasted red peppers from a jar, drained and roughly chopped
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and diced into 2cm pieces
- Lime wedges to serve
For the corn salsa
- 2 corn cobs, kernels sliced off with a sharp knife (or, if not in season,150g frozen sweetcorn, defrosted)
- ½ red chilli, finely diced
- 6 spring onions, finely sliced
- ½ small red onion, finely diced
- Bunch fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 01.Heat a splash of oil in a large saucepan, add the onions, chillies and garlic and cook over a medium heat, stirring frequently, until the onions are translucent.
- 02.Add the spices and cook over a low heat, stirring, for 1-2 minutes, then add the beans in their liquid, stock and bay leaves to the pan. Bring up to a low simmer.
- 03.Add the peppers and sweet potato and cook gently, uncovered, for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sweet potato is cooked but not disintegrating.
- 04.Meanwhile, make the salsa. Mix the corn kernels in a bowl with the remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- 05.Before serving, transfer one third of the soup to a food processor and whizz until smooth. Return to the pan and stir into the rest of the soup, then reheat, adding a little water to loosen if necessary.
- 06.Serve in bowls with a spoonful of corn salsa and lime wedges to squeeze over.
Please follow and like us: