If you’re Vegan or just trying to avoid eggs, and think you can’t have a creamy lemon curd, my Vegan Lemon Curd recipe wants you to think again!
Hi Bold Bakers!
Lemon curd is a staple in any Bold Baker’s fridge. If you’re vegan or don’t eat eggs and have had to shy away from making this incredible fruity treat, I’m here to show you how to make a killer VEGAN Lemon Curd! This recipe is thick, rich, and full of bright citrus flavors without the use of any dairy products or eggs. Get ready to spread Vegan Lemon Curd on toast, scones, or dollop it on top of cakes, pies, and more!
HOW DO I THICKEN MY VEGAN LEMON CURD?
Since my Vegan Lemon Curd is not thickened with eggs, you use a combination of cornstarch, coconut oil, and almond milk. All of these ingredients combine and react with the heat of the pan to make for a super thick and rich curd. You only need a small amount of cornstarch to create the perfect texture, just 3 tablespoons of cornstarch thicken a big batch and help to keep this recipe free of animal products.
WHAT VEGAN RECIPES CAN I USE WITH MY VEGAN LEMON CURD?
Vegan Lemon Curd can be used in all the same ways traditional lemon curd is used. I love it on top fresh fruit for a lovely quick dessert. Or it works really well layered between cake and coconut cream for a beautiful vegan trifle
HOW DO I STORE VEGAN LEMON CURD?
Keep it in an airtight container or in an airtight jar in the fridge for up to 3 weeks. You will find your self adding it into so many things. From inside crepes to on top of my Dairy-Free Ice Cream, I doubt it will last very long!
TIPS AND TRICKS TO MAKING VEGAN LEMON CURD:
- Use fresh lemon juice! Store bought lemon juice does not have the same potent fresh flavor!
- To juice your lemons easily, stick a fork in the center and twist to release all the juice.
- Strain the juice before adding into the curd to ensure there are no seeds in the lemon curd.
- Use coconut sugar if you do not want to use refined sugar.
- You can use vegan butter instead of coconut oil if that’s what you have on hand.
- Use a microplane to get the most zest off or your lemons.
- While waiting for the curd to thicken, whisk constantly and slowly over medium-low heat. When it does thicken it will happen fast.
GET MORE ALTERNATIVE RECIPES!
Don’t forget to follow Bigger Bolder Baking on Instagram!
5 from 1 vote
Print RecipeVegan Lemon Curd RecipePrep Time5 minsCook Time7 minsTotal Time12 mins
If you’re Vegan or just trying to avoid eggs, and think you can’t have a creamy lemon curd, my Vegan Lemon Curd recipe wants you to think again!Course: DessertCuisine: AmericanServings: 2 cupsAuthor: Gemma StaffordIngredients
- zest of 2 lemons
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup (2 ½ floz/71ml) water
- 1 cup (8oz/225g) sugar
- juice of 4 large lemons, about 1/2 cup (4floz/115ml)
- 1/4 cup (2floz/57ml) unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup (2oz/57g) coconut oil
- Place the lemon zest and cornstarch in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Gradually whisk in the water to make a smooth paste, then whisk in the lemon juice and sugar.
- Whisk constantly and slowly until the sugar has dissolved. Continue to cook the curd while whisking until it becomes very thick. This will take 7-10 minutes.
- Once the mixture begins to thicken, turn the heat down to low and add the almond milk and coconut oil. Stir until melted and smooth then remove from the heat.
- Pour the hot lemon curd into a bowl or jar and allow to cool completely at room temperature. Lay cling wrap directly on the curd and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.